Before a NYGATS User can make a unit-specific claim for imported energy into New York, the following three things need to have happened first:
- The Market Participant making claim of the imported energy into New York has an Active Account in NYGATS (Please refer to the Account Registration training documentation posted on the NYGATS Informational Website)
- The NYGATS Administrator has loaded the energy import data from NYISO into NYGATS for the month in which the NYGATS User has imported energy from outside the New York Control Area; OR the counterparty in the transaction has initiated an inter-registry transfer from a Compatible Tracking System (currently PJM and NAR) to NYGATS
- The NYGATS User importing the energy has had the hourly meter data for their importing project loaded into NYGATS by their QIP; OR the NYGATS User accepting the inter-registry transaction has marked the incoming transfer as Bundled prior to accepting into their account
Please note that the Bundled Import process requires an Import of certificates from a compatible tracking system that tracks generation from a control area scheduling Imports with NYISO.
Certificate exports from a compatible tracking system must be sent to the NYISO Importer with the NYISO Import Schedules reported by NYISO. Importers with NYSERDA Contracts must import their certificates through the importing NYGATS account prior to transferring their certificates to NYSERDA.
Initiate the Import
Log into NYGATS and locate the IMPORTS Module from your Dashboard. If you don’t see it, it could mean either of the following:
- You do not have the Import Module selected as a viewable module – go to the “Customize Dashboard” screen, and have the module activated
- The NYISO data for the month and year of your import has not been loaded by the NYGATS Administrator. Note, NYISO data is loaded on, or about, the 12th calendar following the end of the generation month.
Once you’ve located the Import Module, you will see a high-level summary of the amount of energy you imported into New York for a given month from a given Control Area.
Selecting the hyperlink will display each Contract ID associated with Import schedules reported to NYISO for your account. If you cannot find Contract IDs associated with your account, contact the NYGATS Administrator. If you are not the importing Account Holder, you are not eligible to initiate the claiming process for bundled Imports.
To initiate the claiming process, ask the Exporting Account Holder to Export the RECs corresponding to the Scheduled Contract IDs. When an import is received for a project that has never imported into NYGATS, a notification will be sent via email and posted into your Message Notification module to let you know that you have received a pending import on a project that needs additional information.
An Import project will be listed in the Operational Import Projects section of the Import Module in a ‘Need Info’ status. Select the Hyperlinked name of the project and complete the project registration. You will be asked to upload documentation to verify the ownership and engineering information for the project (i.e. nameplate capacity, Commercial Operation Date). You will need to designate a QIP and enter the QIP ID assigned to your project by your QIP. Your QIP will be required to report Hourly Generation Data before a claim can be submitted. Additional information on reporting hourly generation data and guidelines for the hourly file format can be found in the Qualified Independent Party Guidelines
After submitting the registration for the Import project, the project will be updated to a ‘Pending’ status until the NYGATS Administrator approves the project. Please reach out to the NYGATS Administrator if you have any questions about the project registration process.
If the certificate Import is associated with an Import Project that has previously imported RECs, the Importing Account Holder will receive an email and message module notification that the there are pending import certificates ready for acceptance in the Certificate Import Inbox.
Once the Import project is approved, it will be listed in the importing account’s Operational Import Projects module in a ‘Approved’ status. The QIP will also see the approved Import projects listed in their account. The QIP can begin reporting hourly generation data for approved Import Projects.
Accept Imported Certificate Transaction
After an Import project is approved, the Import certificates will be listed in the Certificate Inbox. The Certificate Transfer confirmation screen will ask the importing Account Holder to designate the Sub-Account to import the certificates to, and to designate the Import type of Unbundled or Bundled.
- Unbundled is to be used for all voluntary imports that will not be used in compliance with the Energy Disclosure Program (EDP) or the Clean Energy Standard (CES). All Imports that are part of the Energy Delivery Delay program will be required to wait to convert their RECs to EDD between June 1 and June 15th following the vintage year.
- Bundled is to be used for all energy imports associated with import schedules into the New York Control Area.
Approving an Unbundled Certificate Import will deposit the RECs into the designated Sub-Account. The Certificates will not be transferable until NYGATS communicates the import acceptance to the originating tracking system through the nightly communication process.
When the Account Holder accepts bundled certificates, they will be directed to the ‘Accept Bundled Import’ screen where they can review the Quantity of RECs being imported, Sum of the Meter Data reported for the project and the available contracts to submit a claim against. If there is no Meter Data in the Sum of the Meter Data for the project, you will need to contact the QIP to load the hourly meter data. You will not be allowed to proceed with the import claim until the hourly meter readings have been reported.
To submit a claim, select the Contract IDs in the right column and use the arrow button to move the contracts over to the left column titled: Contracts to Claim.
Selecting the Apply button will move the Contract IDs to the list at the bottom of the screen and calculate if there is a deficit between the Scheduled Imports and the Imported REC quantity. NYGATS requires the importing account holder to select contract IDs totaling no less than the imported quantity of certificates.
The account holder must select the checkbox attesting to that:
- The certificates being imported into NYGATS have been accompanied by energy scheduled and delivered into the NYISO from the selected project as demonstrated by the data provided to NYGATS.
- The energy is not associated with any transaction that would or may be intended to result in the exportation or transmittal of any of the electrical energy associated with this import claim to any party or system outside of New York State
Once the Account Holder selects Claim Imports, they will be asked to confirm they want to submit their claim. Selecting ‘OK’ will result in the Bundled Certificates being deposited into the designated Sub-Account. The Certificates will not be transferable until NYGATS communicates the import acceptance to the originating tracking system through the nightly communication process.